Saturday, March 12, 2011

getting dressed for temple dancing!


Los Maria getting her hair done. This is step one.

To celebrate the New Year, the village of Batuan hosts its final rajan dance ceremony (which had been going on every night at 8.00pm in the temple). My dancers, including me, have gone to dance together for an hour of son, this very sweet, slow and soft dance. The dance happens in the Temple from October to March to prepare for the New Year. For the last dance, the women can wear full costumes! So Los Maria had Sri (daughter of of dancer teacher Sekar) dress her up!

I stayed around for most of the two hours it took to prepare!!!
Dancing was great. Later this week, a man from the village asked if I would sign the photo that he took of me dancing at the temple! He was shocked to see, "a white woman dance Balinese beautiful." I think that was a compliment!


Sri wrapping Wayan up like a present to dance...!

No comments:

Post a Comment