Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baris, the Warrior Dance- Finding my Strength

Baris Dancer. Baris Dance is a Balinese warrior dance. It is traditionally danced by young boys and the three little boys that I am living each can dance a mean Baris, particularly Bayu, the six-old youngest. The dance is strong, fast and fierce. I love it even though it absolutely kills me in the heat. In the dance, I get to express a strength and a passion that I didn't know I had until I came to Bali. Perhaps its the hot weather or the spicy chili sauce, but in Bali I have felt the heat of a whole new inner flame inspired by this dance that I have come to love so much. I love the sharp eyes, the moving necks, the flying fingers, the groundingof the deep piles, the playfulness of the swaying heads and the characters in each face. I truly feel like I have found a dance that I have been looking for a long time or perhaps a dance that I danced before. Either way, I am grateful. This trip to Bali has proven to me the importance of following our heart's passions and also the incredible strength that this entails. Like the Baris warrior, sometimes we must flight for what we love. Many of you might know the craziness of my life before coming to Bali, leaving Portland, yoga students, yoga job etc... All really hard to let go of but what was harder was the step before, having the strength to listen to my little inner voice as it guides me. Still, here in Bali, I am continually calling upon the Baris' warrior strength to listen, to discern and to to trust. I have found such freedom in this strength to listen to my heart, in dancing this strength in Baris and living my passions in Bali. I find it in the little things, like in feeding myself well or in appreciating my body's uniqueness when I dance, having patience with myself and allowing myself the opportunity to be a beginner. When my actions reflect my inner compass, (and they don't always, it's a learner curve for sure,) I feel such a satisfaction. I feel integrity. Baris Dancer

No comments:

Post a Comment