Monday, February 14, 2011

Batuan Temple Ceremony



(Above) The front line of dancers at the ceremony.

This is a ceremony at the local temple in Batuan (small town outside of Ubud). It is a local ceremony in which all attendees must wear proper clothing and it is performed whenever the town can collect enough cakes to serves. The cakes are white rice with coconut on top and quite good. Jiwa, a friend of mine, took me to his house and his wife dressed me to attend. I had to make sure I had no female problems (no period) and that I washed my hair.
The ceremony dance for this event was not too formal. The women lined up and walked from one end of the temple to the other. Upon completion of their very slow and concentrated walk, they received two cakes to eat! It took about two hours or so. At the end of line of women, anyone is welcome to join in and follow along.
There are women and young children sitting around to watch and the men hung around the edges of the temple smoking. In Bali, men smoke, women don’t (at least not in public). The dance felt sweet, gentle, slow and majestic. Just a simple walk had so many details, it really is marvelous.

No comments:

Post a Comment